High School Equivalency Certificate
Read the information below to learn about the high school equivalency certificate.
Press Continue, to find a place to get your high school equivalency certificate.
The High School Equivalency Test (HSE) test is a national test that may be taken in California by persons who are eighteen years of age or older, or who meet specific criteria for testing at age seventeen.
The HSE test is administered statewide throughout the year.
Topics tested on HSE tests include language arts/reading, language arts/writing, mathematics, science, and social studies.
The average fee to take the test is $140
What You Need To Do
Complete the following:
- Be a California resident
- Test-takers must be 18 years old or meet specific criteria for testing at age seventeen
- Exams may NOT be taken online. You will need to locate an adult school in your area to sit for the exam
- Test-takers must complete the exam within the time frame provided for each section of the exam
- Candidates may retake the test in the failed subject area before completing the entire exam
- There is no wait period to retake the test should you fail
- Those who pass the exam will be awarded a California High School Equivalency Certificate